Damien Social Welfare Centre
DHANBAD, JHARKHAND, INDIA
in the service of humanity, 1964 onwards
Sponsor a child for her studies and food
Support for the Leprosy Patients
Home About us Health Services Education Services Rehabilitation Services Nirmala Nursing School Vocational Training
REHABILITATION AND TRAINING
The Baramasia Rehabilitation Centre for the purpose of rehabilitating the leprosy patients was built in 1974 by the Director of Damien social welfare Centre, Rev. Fr. Larry J. Hunt with the funds provided by the German Leprosy Relief Association.
With the grant from Cebemo of the Netherlands, a cane industry was begun in 1975. The industry met with relative success until 1979, when the unavailability of cane forced closure.
In the same year, 1979, the Director, Fr. L.J. Hunt requested and received assistance from German Leprosy Relief Association for a new rehabilitation center. The organization of the new department began in 1980 under the direction of Mr. Frank O. Klein II.
The department soon began studying what rehabilitation work had been initiated in Dhanbad District prior to 1980. In order to determine the kinds of further interventions still required by the patients in the district, surveys ensured. Most important of these studies was the skills assessment survey, which provided insight into the interest, skills, and needs of 611 family units residing in Dhanbad district’s 18 leprosy colonies.
Once the rehabilitation department had assessed it’s population, it began grouping individuals intervened, whose weaving skills or interests culminated in the development of the unit of B.R.T.C., began the work of production such as bandages, gauze and bed sheets for the hospitals, clinics and children’s hostels of D.S.W.C.
In 1981, plans to reorganize BRTC were put into motion with new emphasis on:
1. Organizing small Industries and co-operatives Teaching of production skills related to local raw
2. Half way assistance for young entrepreneurs who are:
a. Without tools to practice their trades
b. After vocational training unable to practice their respective trades in the open market due to their medical conditions, and / or
c. Lacking in confidence and assertiveness skills.
Skill grouping further identified with skills and/ or interests in agriculture, maintenance, jute handicrafts, embroidery, security guard work, cycle repair and cooking. Once these skill grouping is formed, they were directed to B.R.T.C., where they were able to demonstrate their skills imides by the stigma surrounding their disabilities. In addition to the weaving unit, a jute handicraft unit, cushion unit and cycle repair unit were organized. Counseling became an integral aspect of entrepreneur development, work adjustment, and work activity programs.
Significantly, administrative changes took form in the appointment of administrative assistants to co-ordinate personnel, production, scheduling and finances. An advisory counsel, made up of B.R.T.C. residents, was appointed to give guidance on policy decisions. A marketing officer was appointed to develop a market for all B.R.T.C. products.
By late 1981 BRTC began encouraging those workers who could commute to and from the center to do so. Incentives such as cycle loan/ grant schemes, housing and food allowances, and non –residential privileges were implemented. Disabled persons with non- leprosy associated disabilities were welcomed to BRTC for the first time. Persons having histories of mental illness, cerebral palsy alcoholism, epilepsy chronic arthritis deafness and blindness were now working along side those having histories of leprosy. All had individual problems, yet all were united in their general need for employment.
In 1982 began with the formation of an adult education scheme for all workers interested in learning to read and write. Pilot rehabilitation project began for the inpatients of DSWC’s hospital. A BRTC annex in Jharia was developed in which the work force of commuters only was involved.
No of looms: 18 No of Charkas: 20 No of Drums: 1
No of power looms: 3 No. of power drums: 1.
No of workers in BRTC:
Rehabilitation: 72 Welfare: 4 Permanent/ Administrative: 2 Total: 7
Brief History of leprosy colonies of Dhanbad district
Adarsh Leprosy, Lakarka colony was established in the year 1956. Mr. Jagdamba and Mr. Birju Bhuia felt pity for the leprosy people and allowed their land to be used as the residence of the leprosy patients. Later on D.S.W.C constructed few houses for the leprosy patients an also provided them with medical aid and food.
Angarpatra was established in the year 1958. The site of colony was basically a bushy area. The leprosy patient further cleaned this and thatched houses were made. Later D.S.W.C constructed houses for the colony inmates. Food and medical was supplied by D.S.W.C.
In the year 1950 few leprosy-affected people came on the riverside in Jharia and started live. The houses in infant stage of the colony were made on sand, so the place was named Balugadda. Gradually the more people joined and made their small houses and started to live. Later Mr. Ojha helped in the construction of better houses for the people. Since then the population is on the rise.
Bankati colony is 55 years old. In the year 1971 about nine-leprosy patients cleared the jungle, which was used as cemetery to build their houses. The colony is situated near the old railway station of Jharia. Two three years later few more people joined the colony.
The land is ½ acre in area and it has been provided by B.C.C.L. Fr. Hunt provided years back the houses were made of mud and straw this but later mud tiles replaced the straw roof. Lions club and B.C.C.L provided the fund for the replacement of roof.
In the year 2005 a committee was formed at the colony. Thereafter there has been a certain amount of maturity in the level of mental condition of the people. The people solve the problem of the colony them selves. In all matters of the running of the colony the local committee takes discussion. The formation has built certain amount of unity among the people of the colony.
Bhaljoria Leprosy Colony is situated near a Hindu cemetery in Nirsa. In the year 1980 sixteen houses were built for the widows of the area. The houses were left vacant because the beneficiaries were afraid to stay in the houses as it was near the cemetery. The villagers used some of the houses as storehouse.
Those days a leprosy patient named Kisun Mahato use to come for begging in this area from Barakar and for quite some time he use to see the vacant houses. He knew about the houses and also knew as to why these houses were not occupied. He thought that if he could stay here it would be better for his profession.
In the year 1982 he started living in on of the vacant houses. The village people learnt about this and they told him to vacate the house. Kisun had a strong will to stay in the house so he stuck to his decision. He thought that could not stick to his decision for long until he had more support. So he brought three more families and hence the colony started to grow. In the same year there was a domestic uprising at Missionary of charity, Shantinagar. The leprosy patient staff working there wanted wage hike and other facilities. Many of the leprosy patients left Shantinagar and joined the families of Bhaljoria leprosy colony.
About 45 years back two leprosy patients made their small house under a tree near D.V.C water supply Center. Later few others joined them. Later D.S.W.C requested D.V.C to allot the leprosy Patient a piece of land. The request of D.S.W.C was granted and a piece of land was supplied to them. Later under the Indra Awas Yojna houses were built for the leprosy patients.
The Bhowra leprosy colony was established in the year 1960.In 1964 a leprosy hospital was made for the care of the leprosy patient of those areas. Few temporary houses were made for the leprosy patients by DSWC.
B.M.P colony was established in the year 1964. The land was formally a Christian graveyard during the rule of East India Company. In 1964 a small hospital was made to look after the medical need of the leprosy patients. The hospital staff compromised of the cured leprosy patients and as quarters for the hospital staff few houses were made. The number of inmates increased because there was lack of accommodation facility at B.RT.C for the rehab workers. The workers were allowed to make their residence at BMP colony and work at BRTC. Gradually more people arrived at BMP colony and started to live.
BRTC COLONY: Through funding provided by GLRA and the Indo-German Social Service Society the Baramasia Rehabilitation Training Center was built in 1974,for the purpose of rehabilitation of the disabled leprosy patients. With the grant from Cebemo of the Netherlands, a cane industry began in 1975 but in1979 due to the unavailability of cane the industry was forced to close. With the bad news came the good news, in the same year from the J. Homer Butler Foundation of New York, financed the much needed renovation and expansion.
In 1979 Rev. Fr. L.J. Hunt, S.J., director of D.S.W.C since 1970, requested and received assistance from GLRA in the form of financing of new rehabilitation department. The organization of the new department began in the 1980 under the direction of Mr. Frank O’Klein II.
A massive survey was done to Asses the skill and the interest of the leprosy patients in 18 colonies of Dhanbad district. At the end of the survey it was found the patients ere interested in weaving. By the end of 1980 the unit was producing gauze, bandage and bed sheet for the hospital, clinic and the hostels of D.S.W.C. later on in addition to weaving unit, a jute Handicraft unit, cushion unit, macramé unit and cycle repair was organized. Counseling became an integral aspect of entrepreneur development, work adjustment, and work activity programs.
By late1981 BRTC began encouraging those workers who could commute to and from the center to do so. Incentives such as cycle loan/ grant scheme, housing and food allowances and non-residential privileges were implemented. Disabled people with non-leprosy associated disability were welcomed in BRTC for the first time. Person having histories of mental illness, cerebral palsy, alcoholism, epilepsy, chronic arthritis, deafness, blindness were now working along with those having histories of leprosy (Hansen’s disease). All had individual problems, yet all were united in their general need of employment.
1982 began with the formation of adult education scheme for all workers interested in learning to read and write.
Later on the people residing there formed a colony and at present the population is hundred. Most of the people working in BRTC are allowed to stay there.
The colony of Durgapur came into existence in 1950 when twelve leprosy patients made their small dwelling at Mohriband. The colony was so named because the name of the area was known as Durgapur. Later they were shifted to Durgapur, Dhanudih, Jharia. I the beginning the leprosy patients made their houses with mud and the D.S.W.C supplied them with straw to make their roof. Later Lions Club, Dhanbad funded for the construction of 44 houses.
In 2005 a committee was formed at Durgapur for the purpose of making the leprosy patient of their strength as being one. At present they rely solely on them selves for their development.
Jamadoba Colony is almost 46 years old. In the year 1960 Jamadoba Leprosy colony came into existence with a handful of leprosy patients who lived in a Basti adjacent to the present day colony. Later local residents of the basti removed the leprosy patient from there, so they started to live at the site of the present day colony. In the beginning the leprosy patient’s family lived in mud houses but later in the year 1995 Fr. Vijay Bhatt director of D.S.W.C constructed better houses for the leprosy patients. The leprosy colony has been getting regular medical support from Tata Social Services.
Jeevan Jyoti Colony:
Jeevan Jyoti colony was established in the year 1999. People use to live at this place in plastic tents. Later the chairman of BCCL constructed 10 houses for the leprosy patients. On request by the leprosy patients a primary school has been also constructed for the education of the children of the colony. The teacher has been appointed and paid by the B.C.C.L. D.S.W.C. support the colony with education of children and medical aid to the leprosy patient.
In the year 1945 the colony of Kerkend was established. The land was provided by the B.C.C.L. During those days the land was a jungle. Some leprosy patient started to live near the railway station under a tree. The stationmaster of Kerkend felt pity on them and allowed them to make small hut and live near the railway station. Gradually the number started to increase. In the year 1964 D.S.WC extended its support to the colony with medical aid and food. Later D.S.W.C. constructed 41-cemented house for the leprosy houses. The BCCL is supporting the colony in all possible way
Kusunda colony was established in the year 1958. Leprosy patients started living in those days in plastic tents in Lakarka. In the infant stage there were ten families but later nine more families came up. D.S.W.C Constructed tiles houses for the in mates of kusunda replacing their plastic tents D.S.W.C has been looking to the medical and educational needs of the inmates of the colony since its establishment.
This colony is recently established. The residents basically are Nirmla Leprosy Hospital staff. The government granted the land. The houses were built by the joint effort of government under the Indra Awas Yojna and the staff own personal contribution.
In the year 1942 ten lepers started to live near Joraphatak, Dhanbad (Mother Teresa Colony, Chandmari). They made their small houses and gradually few others joined them. The lepers named the place Jungle Pahar. In those days East India Company was ruling over India. The leper’s main occupation in those days was begging. In the year 1952 the company asked them to vacate the place so they shifted to Electricity House close to Jorapathak. About 40 people lived in the colony.
In the year 1972 B.C.C.L came to know that there was abundant coal under the establishment of the colony, so B.C.C.L asked them through an agent of B.C.C.L Mr. Bishwakarma to vacate the place. The headman of the colony requested the agent to meet the director of D.S.W.C. The director of D.S.W.C requested B.C.C.L to construct quarter for the leprosy patient and 20 new Quarter was built up at Jungle Pahar.
Few years later the houses were demolished they were shifted to another place and 26 Kuccha Houses were made. This colony was named after Mother Teresa- Mother Teresa Leprosy Colony. It was established on 19 January 2002.
The main occupation of the people living here is begging and daily wageworker.
Nai Dunia Colony:
Nai Dunia was established in the year 1944. This leprosy colony is situated near the Jharia Taxi Stand. This place was named Nai Dunia because this was a new world for the leprosy patients whom the family members had abandoned and here they were going to start a new life allover again. Mr. Arjun and Mr. Dashrath both were social workers and it was they who took the initiative to supply the leprosy patient a piece of land. In the infant stage there were 44 huts in the colony. Later few cemented houses were supplying funds for the construction of few houses. Mr. Ojha also contributed in the construction of few more houses. In the year 1975 Fr. Kavanaugh helped in the building of houses for the rest of the residents of Nai Dunia.
Palatand leprosy colony was established in 1965 by seven leprosy patients that started to live in this place in small huts. The English used this land in which the houses were made as ground for polo sport. The name of the colony has been named Palatand because the people living here had absconded for their homes and "Pala" means Absconding. Later Rotary club constructed ten cemented houses for the leprosy patients. In the year 1985 the government of Bihar constructed 30 houses under the Indra Awas Yojna. Later when Jharkhand rule came the colony was allotted 40mpore houses under the Indera awas Yojna. Thereafter the number of colony inmates increased.
Prem Nagar Colony:
Prem Nagar Colony was established in the year 1972. About10 –12 people started living near the market. Few years later FCI demolished our houses and sent them to riverside. The leprosy patient gave the information to the parish priest of Sindri Parish. The parish Priest of Sindri conveyed the message to the then director of D.S.W.C Fr. Hunt. Fr. Hunt contacted the General Manager of FCI and requested him to allot the patients a piece of land; in a few days a piece of land was allotted to the leprosy patients. D.S.W.C built few houses for the patients. Later during the directorship of Fr. Vijay Bhatt cemented houses were built for the colony people.
The leprosy patient of Prem Nagar had formed a local committee. The committee strength initiated the Block to build a community hall for the people. The people have understood the value of unity.
In 1945 nine leprosy patients started to live in Domgarh, Sindri. The continued to live there for many years but later Fr. Martin D’souza director of D.S.W.C requested FCI give them a piece of land and it was granted. The block of Baliapur allotted the construction of 20 houses under the Indra awas Yojna.
Fularitand leprosy colony is situated at Mangra Hatia. It was established in the year 1955 and the King of Dumra provided the land at that time, it is a Government Land. The colony has 35 houses in which 35 families reside. The houses are provided to the colony by the government under the Indra Awas Yojna.
The committee of Fularitand was established in the year 2nd July 2005. There was an acute problem of water at the colony, which was unsolved for many Years. The first thing that was done after the establishment of Committee was the set up of a tube well. The set up of Tube well was followed by the construction of Samudayak Bhavan (Community Hall).